View Single Post
Old 04-24-2021, 09:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
DriGuy

Originally Posted by MesaMan View Post
Early on some Years ago here around SR, I was genuinely perplexed by those holding themselves to the impossible Standard that they must not be 'cured' yet because they still had occasional thoughts of Drinking. My take [only for me] was that I also had old Memories. Of my fav Childhood Dog. Of Fishing with my Dad. Of my uber-hot High School GF. I thought then it was both reasonable, and healthy, to compartmentalize all Memories into the 'inevitable' category. They're all *just* Memories. Me superimposing attributes of 'negative' of 'positive' upon Memories was itself actually the root problem.

I guess this is why I took to AVRT before I even knew the official name for it. 'Urge Surfing' thoughts and reactions, once learned, became seductively attractive. And, liberating.

Thus, one approach is that a thought or feeling *wants* absolutely nothing [my take on it]. I, too, have some weird, random, mucked-up Memories. They hit for no reason. Rarely. I just give them all the consideration and emotional response they deserve: none. This practice further leads to an easy-going sort of Mental Discipline, and less fretting, in other areas. 'Tis all good!

Another advantage of this Learned Detachment is that it fosters Serenity. Something very important to me maintaining what I call 'Effortless Sobriety'.
Wow. You nailed that.