View Single Post
Old 04-18-2021, 11:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
trailmix

Originally Posted by Rainheart View Post
So next time, I should just ignore him and next day I’ll just act like it’s nothing happen the night before?
I think what honeypig said is so true and well said.

I was truly wondering why you confront him though. In a "normal" relationship, say your Husband got too drunk at a family function, you might well be angry the next day and he would probably apologize and not do it again.

That's not going to happen here. You get angry and frustrated and that's completely understandable, who wouldn't? I asked because what is the point, it hurts you. You get angry, you tell him off, you feel bad, he probably goes and has a drink (all the while resenting you).

Alcohol is not just "fun" for him, it is his friend, his soother, the thing that he uses to cope.

So ignore it? Well I wouldn't be around him when he is drunk and unruly and I couldn't be bothered to tell him off. Acceptance is key. You can continue to resent him or you can just accept that he is an alcoholic and he will drink and he will drink too much. Now whether you choose to live there with him while he pursues this, that's a question only you can answer.

Do you want to live with a person that drinks too much? Can you accept and detach from his drinking?