Old 04-05-2021, 07:37 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Cura

@soberlicious i don't know how to make this a quote properly...in regards to your words below:

"I can only describe what went on in my head (but in talking with many people over the years who have also been addicted to a substance, others have described similar experiences.) Being addicted is like being of two minds. One part of you wants to quit, and often vows to do so every day. The other part wants to continue drinking. The part that wants to continue drinking will use all kinds of rationalizations and justifications to continue drinking no matter what. Sometimes I could battle for a few days with that *other* part of my brain for days and hold strong and not drink, but eventually it became too hard and I'd give in...seemingly against my own will. It was like a part of me loved alcohol more than anything, and a part of me hated it more than anything. That can be exhausting as you can imagine.[/QUOTE]"

This is the first time I've read anything that made any sense about that. I've had my two minds experience with mental health, but never thought of it as related to my AH's promises followed by drinking again right away. This is such a straightforward way to put it, and I have a good idea what you mean. I can see that in him when I think about it. Thank you for this gem of a description.
​​

Last edited by Cura; 04-05-2021 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Quote not showing up as a quote!