View Single Post
Old 03-27-2021, 06:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
DriGuy

Originally Posted by kittencat View Post
I’m already on an antidepressant but the decision to put her in long term skilled nursing has really done a number on me. My anxiety is constant and I am waiting on therapy so could use any support or advice you have to offer. Thank you!
Taking care of an aging loved one is a full time job, and it's stressful. If you do it by yourself, it's even more stressful, because you won't have any time off, and it is indeed "long term" for a long time. I think taking this on would be more stress than what you are under right now. If you were rock solid sober for 15 years right now, it could still be overwhelming.

A guy older than me warned me when he found out I was taking care of an aging aunt, that no matter what you do, somebody's going be upset about it. And I'm happy he warned me, because it did happen a couple times. Relatives may not lift a finger to help, but they will be ready to criticize, and you have to be ready to give and take and in addition, to become an arbitrator between others who aren't even involved, but have different ideas on what should be done.

Nice going on the two months. Keep it up.