View Single Post
Old 03-26-2021, 10:07 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
lessgravity

I drank seltzer like it was going out of style in my early sobriety. Committing to a progressive workout plan was extremely helpful too - I had/have the ambition to be in peak physical condition (as far as a busy professional and father of 3 kids can) that could only be achieved by never drinking again. I also committed to a mediation practice. Both the workout and meditation practices, I knew/know, would provide actual improvement, things I could see and experience. The time you are given as a sober person also allows you to be present for reading, movie watching, spending time with family/friends - things that in my drinking days were just pitstops between my next buzz. Acknowledging the presence I could/can have in those moments makes sobriety something worth fighting for as well.

And it is a fight, at least in the early days. You have to work for it. You have to suffer pain and discomfort - you are literally changing your life. But the life you then get to have is worth all of that immeasurably. Thank you for posting. Keep posting, stay strong.