View Single Post
Old 03-22-2021, 08:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
advbike

Sorry to hear that you're down a little, Mizz. You are always so upbeat and energetic, but it's a cycle we go through - one of the many rhythms of life. It will get better for you too. As far as ailments, I have had allergies, asthma and skin sensitivities my entire life so it's just one of the things I had to learn to deal with early on. The madness was drinking beer on top of it, to which I am allergic to most of the ingredients. I had to stop running, which I loved, when the damage to the meniscus became too great, especially after having both knees scoped 20 years ago, and now theres some arthritis, so I turned to cycling. Arthritis in the left hand from the motorcycle clutch, got a bike with a lighter clutch, still riding and grateful. Ha ha. And so it goes. We just have to keep adapting and moving.

Bigger lessons also from spending months each year in the Philippines, which is a poor, developing country with shorter lifespans and rough conditions. Life is really tough there, but most people seem happy despite having almost nothing. It really changes one's perspective. Most of the world has far less material wealth than we do in the West, but more spiritual wealth. Wealth from connections with others, the land, nature, etc. Fewer goals. More in the moment. Now, like them, I consider it a good day when I wake up in the morning and have food to eat. Very grateful. Especially if I can still ride my bike and work in the yard. Talk to a friend or neighbor. The simple things. Happiness comes easier with age and sobriety, perhaps because we have fewer expectations.

I hope you have a joyous day moving from the damp, foggy mystery of the morning into the bright warmth of the afternoon! Maybe there's a metaphor in there somewhere, like the great one Fish told.