View Single Post
Old 03-12-2021, 06:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
dandylion
Community Greeter

Learning........I like your screen name because it implies that you are open to learning and willing to make necessary changes. There is so much that you will have to learn in order to prevent your husband's alcoholism from taking over your own lilfe.....this is because alcoholism is called the family disease --as it eventually affects every member of the family, including the alcoholic. Right now, he is controlled by the disease of alcoholism. He probably doesn't even understand that at all. He probably thinks that he can control it, himself, without comittment to a strong program of recovery---that he will have to follow for the rest of his life. What is important, is, that YOU understand this. Knowing this will enable YOU to make the kind of decisions that will save you from being destroyed by his alcoholism.

It is highly unlikely that he will seek help if he continues to live with you. Seeking help just to keep you off of his back usually does not bring genuine results. An alcoholic wiill need to seek help because they want a lsober life for themselves----not just for someone else.
You indicate that you don't know what to do. One of the first things that I would suggest, to you, is to seek legal counsel from a lawyer. You will need to know what steps that you need to take if you decide not to let him back under the same roof as you. It is not easy to Legally refuse to let someone back into their own home. So, you would have to take legal steps, in case he does realize his legal rights and refuse to stay away.

We have a great library of articles in our sticky section (just above the regular threads). Over a hundred great articles under "Classic Readings". Also, read the articles in the forum called "The Best of Soberrecovery"-----at the very bottom of the main website.

For your convenience, I am giving you the following link to one of the articles that I think will help you, right now. It is a pretty good yardstick to judge where your husband is, right now,

10 Ways to Tell When an Addict or Alcoholic is Full of Crap - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (10 Ways to Tell When an Addict or Alcoholic is Full of Crap)