View Single Post
Old 03-11-2021, 10:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Learningnewways

Not sure what to do

My husband has fallen off the wagon after a month of sobriety from alcohol. He is leaving work at 10:30 am and 2:30 pm to buy alcohol, chug it down and then goes back to work. He is in upper management where safety of his staff is his responsibility. Today I told him I could smell he had been drinking. He denied it, of course. I presented a breathalyzer that he willing said he would gladly take and pass. He blew a .08 5 minutes after being home from work. He stated, "see it's all 0s". Oh the lying about the truth right in front of you. I told him to knock the lying and denial off and start telling me the truth. He admitted he left work (leaving his phone at work, because I track him in hopes he has to keep himself in line) and went and purchased a pint of Jack Daniel's 1/4 mile from his work and downed the whole thing at 2:30 pm and returned to work for 3 more hours of work. He believes they don't smell it on him. I do the strong, not enabling thing and calmly tell him, "I won't live this way, you need to leave". After the usual, "can we talk", "can I just stay in the basement", "I have a problem" routine..... I again state, "I'm not living like this anymore". He leaves and attempts to come back to stay in the basement again. I stay strong and firm and remind him he can't stay with me if this is how he is going to live. Normally he would go get a hotel room about 2 miles from the house, think things through and renew his sobriety attempts again tomorrow. Tonight though, he drove 25 miles to his parents house and continued to drink with them. Yes, his parents know he has a sever drinking problem. I took him to the ER in September with a BAC of .383. Seems logical to give your kicked out 50 year old son several beers when he has a drinking problem. Him mom called me 3 hours after he arrived drunk herself, saying it will all work out and they really hadn't discussed the issue, they were just catching up on life!!!! WTF!!! I feel lost in how I can make him see the truth and get help. I appreciate any advice.