View Single Post
Old 02-16-2021, 10:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
suncatcher

Originally Posted by wishinghigh1 View Post
Hi, back on here for some advice as the last time I had any issues in a relationship this forum helped me so much.
Reading back my last post was over 3 years ago when I was in quite an abusive and chaotic relationship with an alcoholic and cocaine addict, thankfully I got out of that relationship a few months after I posted.
Last year I got into another short relationship with someone who turned out to have a cocaine problem, using it at least once a week
Looking back to my teenage years my Mum drank a lot and has always said she was an alcoholic at that time, I never used to agree but as I've gotten older I do think she was.
Fast forward to now and I have been dating the most amazing man for the past 6 months. I think we both have some issues and insecurities, but we work at them and are very honest with each other. dating during covid has meant we have spent a lot of time in each others homes rather than going out and getting to know each other in a normal environment, and a lot of the time this has involved drinking and dabbling with cocaine. I have realised however that he has a drink and cocaine problem. I have tried to say that I don't want us to drink every time we see each other, and have had the odd midweek evening where I don't drink but he still does, despite me asking him not to when I'm there. He is a really happy drunk, works full time, meets all obligations etc and I'm trying to figure out why I feel so anxiously triggered when he gets drunk.
Would his drinking be an issue for me had I not had a bad experience in the past? Yes, he changes a little when he's drunk, but only in that he showers me with compliments and loving texts. He does have down days and I'm trying to establish whether there is a pattern with this following him having had a few dry days.
I don't really want to talk to him on the phone etc when he's drunk as I find it annoying. I also question my own relationship with alcohol and cocaine and wonder if I am being hypocritical when I occasionally dabble myself (albeit this has increased in frequency since I met this guy). I've never been much of a regular drinker but do binge on a night out, and I don't have very good will power when other people are drinking or doing things in front of me. It's making me wonder if I need to stop seeing him if he can't abstain when I'm there, so that I'm not putting myself under (my own) pressure not to join in.
I guess really what I'm trying to figure out is if I am being triggered by previous experiences, and what I can do to help myself if that is the case. Have been wondering if I should look into al anon to explore whether I may the one with issues.
Any help from you wise people would be much appreciated
Hi Wishing- I can relate to your situation. I have been in a relationship with an alcoholic who also uses pot and occasionally cocaine. It has been a one sided relationship with me playing the caretaker rescuer and yes I have participated in the toxic dance . But I can tell you it has been draining! I learned a long time ago on this forum about co-dependency and knew that I did indeed fall into that category but I only recently started deep diving into what made me that way. I did read co-dependent no more and it is a good start but I have also found a lot of help from life coaches on youtube: Lisa A Romano, Dr Ramani, Angie Atkinsion and The Little Shaman are a few that I find so helpful! I think it is good you are questioning your relationship with this person and also that you may be triggered to indulge in the substance abuse yourself when you are with him. That is something to think about. I have been trying to go no contact or low contact as much as I can and just working on me. I wish you the best on your journey and just wanted to say you are not alone.