Thread: Howdy
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2021, 03:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
FreeOwl

welcome Ryan!

I get the concerns over the spiritual nature of AA.

I had those, too.

For whatever it may be worth, I found a lot of value in "powering through" the 'God problem'. It was a really good exercise for me to let go of that resistance and work on just hearing what I could relate to in AA as one of many tools. I tried some secular programs, too.... but I actually found that I gained more growth by working on setting aside my resistance and asking myself what I could learn from the parts that rubbed me wrong.

Anyway - no judgement, just reflection.

I'm glad you're here and on this journey of WANT versus NEED. I know that one well, and in my experience it was the pivotal difference between continuing to struggle and finally being free. Building and maintaining a picture of the person I WANT to be in recovery. Thanks for the reminder. While I'm now living in the early months of my 8th year of sobriety.... I'm also currently on the journey of WANT to be free of another substance - marijuana. I was free of that one, too... but made the casual and ultimately ensnaring decision to just 'have a little pot here and there'. Within a year that became near daily and in the past several months I've struggled to re-make the choice to WANT to be free of it. I'm grateful it didn't lead me back to alcohol, but I've also got to get out from under the weight of addiction with that darn substance now, too... and get BACK to a fully balanced recovery. So.... I'm right here with ya and I'll be rooting for you.