View Single Post
Old 02-08-2021, 09:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
J109

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
What Hawk and Velma say is so true, you couldn't make him stop. Nothing you could say or do would make him stop.

My Father was an alcoholic. He was married the first time to someone and had 3 children. He came home from work one time and they were all gone, one daughter and two sons. He never heard from his sons again.

So he quit drinking.

Not really. Later, he married my Mother, they had us, the marriage was rocky (at best), so he quit drinking.

Not really.

My Mother eventually divorced him and we still saw him from time to time. He got older, most of his friends were gone, so he quit drinking.

Not really.

See how it goes? I don't know what his first wife was like, she was probably a nice person I guess, my Mom certainly was, I mean a genuinely good person. They were married for about 20 years. She was a great Mother, kind, funny, adventurous and he did love her in his own way, I'm sure. But nothing NOTHING stopped him from drinking.

Yes, you did the right thing, as is said around here, you don't start yourself on fire to keep someone else warm. For him? No, he didn't deserve to have his life ruined by alcohol and whatever other issues he had, no one does, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen anyway. He was an alcoholic and chose to drink, for whatever his reasons were. We must respect other people's decisions, even if we don't think they are right and even if we don't like them.
I replied back to you but it put it a not reply to message... I don’t know how to reply without having the thing someone wrote and then my reply... new here sorry

but thank you this! The pattern I have to remember. Yes it was a pattern. that side helps the truth in more. I’m trying here. It’s so hard. I wouldn’t wish this on anyone and it’s in so many houses but never talked about. I can’t talk to my friends about all this they will think I lost my mind dating after all the stuff before rehab... I should have listen to those red-flags.... but I was head over heels it was crazy! it just sucks. Because remove that alcohol, he was perfect for me. we did love each other... or I definitely did...

it would have kept happening I know that... sigh
the death thoigh, it’s going to be two months and i am still numb and out of it. With therapy! No less.

pain like nothing before