Old 02-05-2021, 01:54 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
HigherDrunk

Originally Posted by Aellyce2 View Post
I was a horrible binge drinker for >10 years and personally never experienced noticeable brain fog that I could relate to the drinking beyond the first 1-2 days of acute withdrawal. Agree with others that anxiety and depression can be associated with cognitive problems, for me especially a major depressive episode did that in the past (concentration problems and inability to make decisions normally). In addition to investigating and perhaps treating mental health, maybe have a comprehensive physical exam if you haven't had one recently. Physiological imbalances are very common in alcoholics, some of those can indeed cause cognitive and neurological issues and can often be easy to fix once you stay sober and get proper nutrition and care.
I gotta say... I'm pretty jealous of the fact that you hadn't experienced any noticeable symptoms of brain fog. Especially if you take into account how many years you were binging compared to me. Either you didn't drink/blackout as much as I or you're incredibly lucky. Either way... good for you that it hasn't affected you like it has others. It can be a really scary thing to deal with; especially if you value your intellect.

As for my brain fog being associated with my mental health... I don't think those 2 have any real correlation. Mainly due to the fact that I've been suffering with major depressive disorder and anxiety ever since I was 12-13 and didn't really notice a difference when it came to my language and verbal comprehension. However I did notice it right after my last blackout... so I think it's safe to say that the alcohol most likely had a role to play with my problems rather than my mental health. Could of the 2 perhaps intertwined? Maybe.? No idea. There's no really no way knowing for sure.