View Single Post
Old 02-01-2021, 04:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
JustJohn
Hangovers Suck!

Originally Posted by RLee82 View Post
I was in the gym at around 10 in the morning and a craving hit that I literally could not stop or overcome. I left the gym in the middle of my workout and went right to the gas station, bought a twelve pack, and immediately went home to start a day of drinking...I mean who does that?!
Me! In my early 30's, I once left an AA meeting with fellow members and went to lunch with them. Got so triggered during lunch, I went straight to the liquor store, bought a half gallon of liquor and got wasted.

You're not alone in having cravings like that. Keep giving sobriety a chance - it will eventually stick. But I do understand how wicked cravings can sometimes be. I wish I had the answer for both of us. I'm on day 33 sober this time. I've lasted as long as 3 years and 7 months and since that time I've had some long months of abstinence, and on other attempts broke down after a few days.

Keep on keeping on - learn everything you can about addiction. The more you understand how addiction works, the more likely you can get through the next craving. I'm feeling pretty confident right now, but I know a craving can hit any day, and I'm better prepared mentally now to get through it and remain sober.

Keep coming here and read and post. It's helping me and many others stay sober and live better.