Thread: Courage
View Single Post
Old 01-31-2021, 10:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
DriGuy

I'm going to second carl on this one. When you finally find sobriety, you will look back and this and realize that it didn't take courage. It didn't even take that much will power, except for the first week. Yes, that first week tormented me. Courage is something we exhibit when we face fear. I'm not sure what your fears are (I had them to), but you will look back at your fears and wonder what the fuss was about. OK, people fear the unknown. That's almost universal, but really think about it. What would you fear might be unknown to you about getting sober? Yes, you will make changes, you will make some new friends, and there will be surprises, almost all very very happy surprises. But none of them worth an once of your fears.

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Courage
I don't know if it takes courage, but it certainly takes commitment. The commitment not to drink, no matter what, and the ability to handle the discomfort that comes with that commitment.
AA talks about alcoholics avoiding sobriety, because they are searching for the easier softer way. But the paradox is that sobriety IS the easier softer way. It requires no energy to pour a drink, even less to just pass on it and forget it.