View Single Post
Old 01-26-2021, 07:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
DrunkenDonuts

Today Marks 6 Years Sober

On this day, 6 years ago, I woke up feeling like crap as normal.

This time was a little different in that I had decided the day before, to drink something that would definitely make me feel awful. Probably one of those things that drunks do on occasion - I can only speak for myself.

Only this day, I had a plan. There were steps that I knew I had to undertake in order to accomplish the outcome I knew was necessary - I had to stop drinking.

After getting up and sneakily moving the empty bottles into the outside bins, I called my doctor for an appointment. Step one accomplished.

Nothing but time until my appointment. Searched the web for alternative drinks to alcohol. Decided on ginger beer (non-alcoholic of course). I also came across this website.

I know I read through a lot of posts before I actually joined in. In fact, I think I'd seen my doctor and proceeded down my chosen path before I even posted.

In my case, I didn't have cravings. I did attend some group therapy sessions and I also posted here. I'm being purposefully oblique about the method I used to quit because I know we're not meant to be promoting one method over another. Whatever works.

I've accomplished a decent amount since quitting, including buying a house and regaining the trust of my family. Still got another few decades before I fall off the perch, so to speak - Which brings up another thing that's happened - I discovered I really enjoy nature. And taking photos of it. It's what I do whenever I'm not at work.

I remember thinking that the only thing I actually enjoyed doing was drinking... Wow. That was bollocks.

For those thinking I sound like I was a bit of a light-weight... I was pretty bad. When someone asks me why I don't drink, I just tell them I already got the high score and there's no point.

Anyway, just thought I'd make a post here on the anniversary and wish you all the best. If you want to quit and you make the decision to quit, you can quit.

Here's one of the photos I've taken after quitting.

Good luck!