View Single Post
Old 01-26-2021, 05:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
shortstop81
G-Woman

Not sure where else to post...

Hi SR. I am grateful to be 1.5years sober. My life looks very different than just a few years ago - I’m remarried, live in a nice home. My career is going well. I have birth to my second son 3 months ago.

I still struggle from the long term affects alcoholism has had on my coping skills. I’m super struggling right now. Not with the thought of drinking, but with major anxiety and guilt (I’m already on meds).

Im having some conflict with extended family members, regarding my older son. Our entire family has substance abuse and boundary issues. Since getting sober, with the help of my wife, I’ve been distancing myself somewhat and setting up new boundaries. It hasn’t always been understood by certain family members.

I HATE conflict. It sends me into a tailspin of negative emotions and panic. I sent a long email to my extended family the other day where they was firm with some expectations regarding my son. I hate that I may have upset people. I don’t know if I regret doing what I did.

I apologize that this isn’t completely alcohol related- more so a former alcoholic trying to navigate complicated interpersonal relationships now that they’re sober.

anyone else struggle when dealing with family now that you’re sober and in a different place?