Old 01-16-2021, 06:09 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
DriGuy

Originally Posted by Aellyce2 View Post
So I'm interested in how you all deal with these things - just please keep the "no medical advice" rule in mind while discussing
We do keep embarrassing things to ourselves, even with doctors, and it was humiliating for me to let a doctor or even others know I was having a problem with my drinking for fear of getting a long useless lecture condemning my behavior. And there are some doctors who would rather lecture and pass judgement than help (big difference between lecturing and helping).

But does it matter that much? People pass judgement all the time. Just find help. Help is out there. And that's what you need... or you do it all on your own, something I was unable to do on my own.

I've had both types of reactions from doctors, but most of them are willing to help a little, even though doctors are rushed to get you in and out because they always have a line of patients waiting, and they are more geared to diagnosing and referral. My current doctor understood that I didn't drink, although I never went into detail about why, but my last visit, he commented about my health, and said that it was good that I didn't drink or smoke, especially at my age. For some reason, I was feeling an unusual level of self pride, and I told him that on Jan 3rd, it would be 25 years from my last drink. He stopped and turned around to look at me with obvious interest, and asked if I did it on my own, or if I had help, and we talked some more. He said, "The reason I want to know how you did it was so that I can pass information like that onto others who need it." This guy is the busiest doctor I have known, but he obviously wants to help, and he can make referrals and direct people to others who have the time and the skills to help.

The thing is, you may get less disapproval from your doctor than you think, especially if he understands that you are asking for help. And if he doesn't, well you took a risk. Don't be disheartened by that. If someone is quitting and is worried about the real dangers of withdraw, a doctor can help a whole bunch by getting you to a place where withdrawal can be supervised, and emergency help will be readily available.