Old 01-15-2021, 06:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Obladi
Life Goes On

My perspective on this is that it is completely counter-productive to see a medical professional and obscure my drinking history from them. This is a vital piece of information for any provider; it impacts (or should impact) how they can best support your sobriety and could also have an impact on your care.

For instance, the last time I went to the dentist, the anesthesia barely worked even though they'd given me quite a large dose. If I'd told them at some point that I was a heavy drinker, they may have been able to better avoid the enormous pain I was in during that procedure. Imagine the consequences if I'd needed surgery during that period and hadn't told my surgeon!

For another instance, my primary (who is absolutely an amazing find and was so worth the hunt!) knew from the beginning of our relationship three years ago that I was alcoholic. Knowing this, and in seeking to know something about the "causes and conditions" of my illness, her care has been tailored to where I've been at each step of this journey. She knows I can become overwhelmed with anxiety, so she's careful about which procedures/test to suggest and when. During this past year, she has respectfully but enthusiastically suggested 3-month follow ups. (As if she didn't want to trouble me! In fact, I didn't want to appear too "needy.")

Every provider should be doing a "social history" with you that includes asking about your alcohol use. This is a standard of care that is required in the US. When they ask, tell em - don't brush over it; really tell em. I work with providers for a living and believe me, they've heard it all and will appreciate your honesty. (The one provider I saw for awhile was honest that she didn't really know how to help me as she had no expertise in the area of addiction. And while that was disappointing, it was a pretty good clue that I needed to find someone who could.)

Good question, Aellyce.

O