View Single Post
Old 12-23-2005, 03:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Little Missy
NOT EVEN 1 CLUB!!

Hi Kelly!! Welcome to SR!!

I admire you for researching this disease. It will help you to better understand him. That's what my husband did. He also goes to al-anon and attends open AA meetings with me. Al-anon will teach you how to live a happy life despite the turmoil his drinking causes. It is very important for you to take care of yourself and your child. Make sure you are safe!! During active addiction, we can destroy everything in our path.

Yep, read the books suggested. May want to take a look at "To Wives". It's a chapter in the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous. (most libraries have one).

My light bulb to quit drinking took a while to come on!! Almost dieing didn't keep me from picking up a drink. Yeah, I quit for a year, then started back drinking more then ever. Progressive disease!! Even when WE DON'T DRINK it still progresses!!

It's funny now. My husband would come home every night and say, "What happened today that you need to drink about." And I would give him a list (justifications) of good or bad things. One day he came home and said the same thing. For some reason, I thought about it. I didn't have a reason. That's when I realized I had a problem. That simple, one day it clicked!!

Most alcoholics drink because they don't know how to handle life and emotions. Alcohol is but a symptom, we have a living problem!!

If drinking causes problems in his life, then he has a drinking problem. Only he can decide if he is an alcoholic and he has to stop for him.

I feel for you. It is terrible what we put our loved ones through. Just know that it is a disease. That there is HOPE!!

May he find his way!!
Prayers for you and yours,
Missy