Thread: My father
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2005, 03:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
zwh

My father

I'm sixteen. My dad is my world. He is who I fall back on, he is the only reason I can keep on living life happily, because I know I have him.
My dad has been addicted to something practically all his life. 27 years of being an alcoholic, thank god he found the power to quit that over a decade ago. He never took a drink agian.

My dad's "latest" problem has been meth. He has had such a long struggle with it. Sometimes sober, sometimes not. He recently served about a year in jail for it, as he had before, and during his jail time did so well in programs like AA. After he was out, he went to meetings for about a full year until he wasn't required to go anymore. But I was so proud of him, and so happy things were good and normal again.

After about a year and a half of being clean, he had a relapse. My family is broken. I am so scared for my father. He is clean now, he feels it was just a screw up. He didn't even want me to know. When I found out, my world dropped. I'm so stressed out now. I'm constantly worried about him. I have to constantly be near him to feel any relief. Otherwise, I just get horribly depressed thinking of the "what ifs" and all that.

We (my dad and I)have plans for the future to keep him in a positive environment and keep the stress on him as low as possible. I don't know who or what to turn to now. This is all new to me. I want my dad to be clean, I need him. Who has been in my situation before? How do I ensure he is and stays clean?