View Single Post
Old 12-14-2020, 03:48 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Aellyce

It sounds like you need to work on your ability to say 'no' to cannabis in the critical moments when you experience triggers, cravings, it's around you etc. I personally find this the most essential skill in maintaining my sobriety now, everything else is pretty easy relative to this. You see, it would definitely be better if the drug was not directly around you, at least not in your house. I would tell my relatives and friends that I quit and don't want it to be offered or used around me. I personally would not let anyone drink alcohol in my home now (probably for a good while) and would not accept of it was gifted to me, in any form. I think that's a fair request, they can go elsewhere to enjoy it.

What helped you the most when you quit alcohol, at the beginning? Maybe try to apply the same things now to cannabis? It seems like you have the desire and motivation to quit but perhaps don't know how to handle the temptations in those moments in a steady manner. I find many of the same skills I originally learned to handle my drinking urges quite helpful to combat other vices/self-defeating temptations and behaviors as well, for example when I feel like distracting myself and procrastinate important tasks - those are mostly just other forms of escape and choosing immediate gratification in the moment over something much more constructive and rewarding in the grander scheme.

You can do this, your sobriety from alcohol demonstrates that well!