View Single Post
Old 11-28-2020, 07:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Butterfly1313

Originally Posted by trailmix View Post
Hi Butterfly, I'm really sorry you got hurt, I know it's a terrible feeling. Just know you won't always feel this way - hang on to that. Should you leave him alone? Probably the wisest decision.

Two relationships, both with addicts. What is your background? Were either of your parents using drugs?

It just seems that you may have a huge capacity for dysfunction in your life? If so, perhaps that is something you could speak to a therapist about or perhaps some self help reading.

One book very often recommended here is Codependent no more, by Melody Beattie. It has a lot of information in it about boundaries and how to look out for yourself.

Why is he so distant? It's probably impossible to know really. He's a heroin addict, you can't really expect "normal" reactions or actions from him? Also, addiction is progressive, he doesn't use the same amount of heroin - forever. His reaction to it will not always be the same, the changes to his brain, continue. While you have been going about your normal routine for 2 years, he has been living the life of a drug addict, very far away from what you have experienced. He works hard - for drugs. I'm sure he always makes time - for drugs. Does he have friends that use as well? That is his world, that is the absolute main focus of his attention, anything or anyone else (including you) is secondary, at best.
not sure how to submit a reply here hoping this works...my parents weren't addicts...I have never been around drugs...I dont drink...im 42 and never even been drunk. I can tell iam an enabler...I had started reading co dependant no more after the 1st addict and then stopped midway. Maybe I need to get back and start over. A lot of what u said makes sense.