View Single Post
Old 11-28-2020, 06:07 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  
Aellyce

I definitely downloaded the right Infinite Jest (you can do that for free on Library Genesis). I guess "lighthearted" is not the right word, I just saw it described as a book that has good humor, but probably of the dark kind (which I like even better). Will see for myself.

Thanks fini for suggesting the Lifering book, I will probably get it because I very much enjoy the exercises in SMART as well. I create spreadsheets for them on my computer so I can always add to what I record as time goes by. It's not like I have never thought of and done similar things before, but it is different now in the specific situation I am in, and truly using it to support my sobriety. I also want to try a Lifering meeting.

O - I actually meant to use the afternoon meeting scheduling to improve my own discipline. Doing anything in the mornings (when I am sober) is always the easiest for me, I am a morning person and my motivation tends to be naturally higher in the first half of the day. I was thinking it's good to attend meetings later in the afternoon, especially now with the shorter days during the winter, when doing anything outside is not such a good option. Luckily I am not prone to winter depression, but sometimes didn't know what to do with my evenings and drank just out of boredom. The later meetings can also help me unwind and relax in the evening. The timing does not really matter in terms of when I used to drink and get craving now - that can be anytime, I had no set schedule for the drinking and my brain also does not seem to care when it wants to flood me with urges. But I do have a few major, very predictable triggers. For example, many things related to a job that I have wanted to get rid of for a long time now, but was just as ambivalent about it as about drinking/sobriety, for years.

Speaking of making significant life changes for a successful recovery... So now, finally, I am quitting that job early in March. It took ages because I had so many responsibilities associated with it, projects and people depending on me, but finally I'm close. I so look forward to being free from that job even though I'll still need to work on finishing some projects... but will do that at my own pace. It also gives me a lot of constructive preoccupation and tasks to work on setting up the next phase of my career, where I plan to be 100% self-employed. There is a lot to do about this right now and all of it is very practical. I just wiIl probably share with you guys some of my feelings regarding that old job and leaving it now, because it's quite interesting and related to addiction and recovery.