View Single Post
Old 11-26-2020, 07:54 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Aellyce

That's interesting tursiops, thanks for sharing. I am definitely re-reading the main recovery literature and adding new books. Found one recently called The Addiction Spectrum, written by a doctor who is a recovered alcoholic (also his son) that I am particularly excited to get into as it seems to click pretty well with my views about addiction. I'm curious about his particular suggestions for recovery.

The Addiction Spectrum: A Compassionate, Holistic Approach to Recovery by Paul Thomas and Jennifer Margulis.

I have never been against any of the recovery methods out there and easily see value in all of them, my problem is that I studied them to death but never really applied to myself before. I am very open to trying anything now, but need more than just trying. I personally find that the cognitive exercises in AVRT are helpful for me when the cravings are relatively mild, but those real monster ones that always do me in need much more than that for me. So far, I've only had two of those bad urges this week and many minor, passing ones. I did use a variety of tools for the bad ones and they really helped. It's always fascinating when they pass, how fine line there is between giving in and getting through unscathed. Dealing with an urge well is bending that fine line in the right direction, in a way.

Completely agree about the plan, my thing though is that I always make hundreds of plans (even my profession involves making all sorts of plans and strategies), can give good advice to others, but did not implement my own plans in the past. So that's what I need to work on the most now.

I also wanted to say that I'm sorry I don't respond in detail and individually to the many very thoughtful posts on this thread - I do this to remain focused on what's the most important NOW, not to get distracted much, and not to overcomplicate things as most of you suggested Day 5 is looking good so far, better than yesterday.

Last edited by Dee74; 11-26-2020 at 11:29 AM. Reason: Removed commercial link