View Single Post
Old 11-21-2020, 12:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
relena

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
Hey. I left the wrong impression about my struggles with depression. My father had been diagnosed with lung cancer and I had ended a long-term relationship at around the same time.

I saw a therapist and, after a year without significant improvement, I started with medication. Things changed very gradually and struggling with it did indeed bring me to a better place. I haven't had another episode since that, time twenty-six years later.

I used to treat people with major/clinical depression as well for several years. I'm familiar with the ordeal. Sometimes the act in itself, reaching out for help, can be transformative and can create a boost to keep us going.

I'm very hopeful for people with depression. I believe that working with a therapist can make a significant difference.

Life is difficult for you right now. You're suffering. It sounds like it's been going on for a while.

We're always in a hurry when attempting to shed our fear; some things work out better when we slow things down in our lives.
I went to several different therapists, psychiatrists, did counseling, even spent a month in a hospital being treated for my depression 13 years before I had ever touched alcohol to my lips. I've been on every antidepressant you could think of, antipsychotics, antianxiety meds.

Lucky for me I was diagnosed at such an early age while I still was on my parent's insurance. That they had decent jobs and took my pain seriously. I'm sorry for them it didn't amount to anything.