View Single Post
Old 11-19-2020, 08:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Stayingsassy

Originally Posted by 2much2luv View Post
Thank you, Dee. <3

I really am just hoping for hope.
I was able to get sober with a drinking spouse.

I think having a drinking spouse prolonged my drinking. I knew how hard it would be.

basically, if you know you need to quit, and you are determined to do it, it’s about you only. He’s not part of your sobriety. At all. Don’t tie him in to your personal journey. If he feels like his drinking is excessive and he needs to quit, that’s his personal decision too.

I asked my husband to put all the booze away, to stop talking about alcohol and to try not to drink around me. The latter didn’t work so well. Also, most things he likes to do tie in with drinking. His favorite activities are: drinking and gigging (bass player), wine tasting, drinking with his family, and drinking with his friends.

but my sobriety isn’t about him, so that’s not relevant to me.

if you really need it to happen, and you’re at the point where you feel like you don’t want to waste another second of your life, you can quit while your husband still drinks.

it depends on your own readiness, and your own desire to quit. I am still sober, because my sobriety didn’t have anything to do with my husband. I drew a line between us when it came to alcohol. My personal history with alcohol was punishing enough to do this for myself.