Thread: Day 3 again
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2020, 02:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Bodhi02

Day 3 again

Hi all,
I've been on this site quite a few times, but have never posted until now. I've been struggling with my relationship with alcohol since college (10 years ago) - about 6 weeks ago as I was in the grips of anxiety from another long/forgotten weekend of drinking I decided it was time for me to do something about it. I made an appointment with my GP told her about my struggle and the control alcohol had on my life. She prescribed me anti-depressants and said don't drink for 6 weeks and we'll have a check-in appointment. I was pretty solid in the beginning and then boom I went on a camping trip with my family and went back to the same drinking cycle. Now I was back to work and struck with the same disappointment and anxiety. Swore off drinking again. Then Halloween happened and I lost all control I just didn't want to feel anything and drank a bottle of wine everyday after work (sometimes I'd start before I was off the clock). Monday rolls around and I'm back to that same horrible low and the awful shame of worrying about a mistake I might have made at work or will I get fired.

I'm on Day 3 of not drinking today and had my follow-up appointment with my GP yesterday. I think I've proven to myself that I can't handle drinking and not only that I don't want to drink. I need to put a more serious plan into place to deal with the triggers/urges. I thought here would be a good first place to start since I always turn to these forums, but never actively engaged. I've looked into AA meetings near me but I've been too nervous to take any action. I know I can't do it on my own and I'm looking for support and/or any suggestions anyone would like to provide.