View Single Post
Old 11-02-2020, 01:30 AM
  # 256 (permalink)  
kenton

Thank you Mags!!

So happy to be 4 years sober today. I remember when I first joined SR, I read a post by someone who was 4 years sober and I remember thinking that was the stuff of myths and legends. How the heck does someone stay sober for that long?? Anyway, all those days kept adding up and now I've got to 4 years and it doesn't seem so very long after all. It's wierd... the individual days at the beginning, when I was fighting cravings and playing the tape forward... those individual days seemed to go on forever but when I look back now, the last four years has flown by. I love that quote that says 'change isn't about fighting the old, it's about building the new' and that's what sobriety enables us to do. We can rebuild. I'm a completely different person now, to who I was 4 years ago. It's not all about me anymore, I'm there for others. I'm a listening volunteer for the Samaritans and I get the chance to help callers each week. I've been promoted twice at work. I'm more in love with my husband than ever before. I have a great relationship with all of my children (even the teenagers!). My dog really loves me and I love my family and my home. I have proper friends now, not just drinking buddies. I'm a reiki master. I've written two novels (one of which is being considered by literary agents). I've paid off my debts and I've come to terms with a lot of the stuff that I needed to come to terms with. Life isn't perfect. I'm grieving for my friend who died last week. I will never have a good relationship with my mum. I still miss my dad horribly. But life is never supposed to be perfect and right now, it's about as perfect as I could ever hope for it to be. Best of all, I really like myself. I'm a work in progress but I'm so happy to be me. Can not express enough gratitude to this site and especially this thread for helping me build this life.... Dee, Suze, Mags, CK, Tomls, Vovo, Willow, Purps and everyone... thank you. 24 more for me please xxxx