Old 11-01-2020, 10:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Elysian, I am sorry for the heartache you are feeling. This might be a good time to work on your own well being and distract yourself from how he is doing or when he can see you.

We started to get closer in the summer, and he confided in me that he has struggled with drug addiction for years. It was news to me, and we bonded over this because I had been in a relationship with an addict (and had left that relationship) so I understood this to an extent.
He sounds more honest than many, and he is telling you who he is right from the beginning. It may be a good chance to look at yourself and why you (so far) have been attracted to addicts or alcoholics. There is a group called CoDA (Codependents Anonymous) that is about "us" and why we are the way we are and how we can learn to live healthier lives. Sick attracts sick and healthy attracts healthy. It would be nice if your recovery (from Codependeny) is as important to you, as his is to him.

It's an old saying but "time heals" and once you find you balance again and whether or not you resume a relationship with him when his recovery is strong, you will be wiser for the journey.

Hugs