View Single Post
Old 12-20-2005, 11:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
elizabeth1979
Acting not reacting

Personal Responsibilty

Found this at www.coping.org

What do people believe who have not accepted personal responsibility?
  • It's not my fault I am the way I am.<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:P> </O:P>
  • I never asked to be born.<O:P> </O:P>
  • Now that you have me, what are you going to do with me?<O:P> </O:P>
  • I want you to fix me.<O:P> </O:P>
  • Life is unfair! There is no sense in trying to take control of my life.<O:P> </O:P>
  • Why go on; I see no use in it.<O:P> </O:P>
  • You can't help me, nobody can help me. I'm useless and a failure.<O:P> </O:P>
  • God has asked too much of me this time. There is no way I'll ever be able to handle this.<O:P> </O:P>
  • When do the troubles and problems cease? I'm tired of all this.<O:P> </O:P>
  • Stop the world; I want to get off.<O:P> </O:P>
  • Life is so depressing. If only I had better luck and had been born to a healthier family, or attended a better school, or gotten a better job, etc.<O:P> </O:P>
  • How can you say I am responsible for what happens to me in the future? There is fate, luck, politics, greed, envy, wicked and jealous people, and other negative influences that have a greater bearing on my future than I have.<O:P> </O:P>
  • How can I ever be happy, seeing how bad my life has been?<O:P> </O:P>
  • My parents made me what I am today!<O:P> </O:P>
  • The problems in my family have influenced who I am and what I will be; there is nothing I can do to change that.<O:P> </O:P>
  • Racism, bigotry, prejudice, sexism, ageism, and closed mindedness all stand in the way of my becoming what I really want to be.<O:P> </O:P>
  • No matter how hard I work, I will never get ahead.<O:P> </O:P>
  • You have to accept the luck of the draw.<O:P> </O:P>
  • I am who I am; there is no changing me.<O:P> </O:P>
  • No one is going to call me crazy, depressed, or troubled and then try to change me.
In order to accept personal responsibility you need to develop the ability to:
  • Seek out and to accept help for yourself.<O:P> </O:P>
  • Be open to new ideas or concepts about life and the human condition.<O:P> </O:P>
  • Refute irrational beliefs and overcome fears.<O:P> </O:P>
  • Affirm yourself positively.<O:P> </O:P>
  • Recognize that you are the sole determinant of the choices you make.<O:P> </O:P>
  • Recognize that you choose your responses to the people, actions, and events in your life.<O:P> </O:P>
  • Let go of anger, fear, blame, mistrust, and insecurity.<O:P> </O:P>
  • Take risks and to become vulnerable to change and growth in your life.<O:P> </O:P>
  • Take off the masks of behavior characteristics behind which you hide low self-esteem.<O:P> </O:P>
  • Reorganize your priorities and goals.<O:P> </O:P>
  • Realize that you are the party in charge of the direction your life takes.<O:P>
</O:P>