View Single Post
Old 10-28-2020, 06:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
dandylion
Community Greeter

Forever-----do you know that there are several books on amazon.com for telling kids about divorce? There are ones for every age group. I don't know if you can get books from amazon, in your country. If not, you can get the titles off of the book section of amazon.com and have your local library get them for you.
If you go onto the internet and google "how to tell kids about divorce"-----you will find several articles on this subject.

I went through this when I divorced my first husband---the father of my three children. I don't know how old your kids are--but, from what you have shared in your threads--I am guessing somewhere between 6 and 10?? Mine were a bit younger---the oldest being 6 years.
Based on my own experience of going through divorce and being a single parent for many years---I can offer the following....
What SparkleKitty said-----the kids take their cues from their parents---so, I think that it is very important to not project your own anxiety onto them. If you seem calm and confident (even if you have to fake it) , they will feel more secure.
Don't expect them to fall apart or even do a lot of talking. They will probably just listen and maybe ask a few questions. I suggest that you don't press them to have a great verbal outpouring.
Kids--especially, the young ones, seem to need time to slowly digest this kind of mew material. Let them go at their own pace. It is possible that some kids will "act out" their feelings over time---as kids may not have the ability to verbalize complex feelings at this age.
I found out that, over time, kids will ask question as they feel safe to do so. When they do ask--answer in honest, simple answers---age appropriate.

I remember, from my child psychology developmental courses (lol---which I took after my kids were already grown!)---that, children tend to think of their own security in 24 hour segments. Like--where are we going to sleep. Can we still order pizza for dinner? Can Johnny sleep over, tonight? Can grandma still come to visit this weekend?

Forever---obviously, I could go on and on, here. Maybe, if you have any SPECIFIC questions---I and the other posters can try to answer them from our own experience.