View Single Post
Old 10-25-2020, 01:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Hodd

The careful planning of a drinker

My brother came to dinner last night. He lives a few hours away so stayed in a nearby hotel. He’s a big big guy and I suspect a very heavy drinker. Not wishing to make him uncomfortable, I took him to the supermarket across the road so he could buy a drink, maybe a can of beer or whatever, but he said he was OK to drink whatever I was having.

It got me thinking how I’d have approached such an evening when I was a drinker. I’d have had one or maybe two drinks during dinner just to keep me going. I’d then be watching the clock to see if my hosts - the boring non-drinkers - would stop talking rubbish in time to allow me to get some proper drinks before the shop closed. Better still, I’d have bought my stash of beers beforehand. That last point would’ve have taken quite a bit of research of local shops, etc.

I would’ve probably felt aggravated by my hosts for detaining me so long in such a boring alcohol-free environment, and the meal they’d cooked wouldn’t have even registered when it needed a good red wine to cut through it (drinkers say such things).

It would’ve been a cr*p evening for me. The highlight would’ve been the six well-planned beers I’d downed in front of the TV before bed. I’m sure we’ve all had long frustrating evenings like that. Looking back, I really did resent anyone who suggested a non-alcohol venue or deprived me of my mountain of beers. These people meanwhile must’ve thought I was just nasty and a bit sad.

It’s scary to look back and think of my irrational behaviour. Life’s so much easier without having to always plan where the next drink is coming from