Thread: Routines
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2020, 05:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Aellyce

This is always a great question. I think it's important to find what works for you and trying different things is the best way to figure it out.

I have never had much routine in my life and prefer it this way, like the flexibility. Whatever routine I have is centered around efficiency and some self-care: how I start my days (the first 1-2 hours), how I work, and keeping health-related and some grooming appointments regularly (or as much as I can this year). What I find much more important for me is planning and scheduling. I'm the kind of person who operates the best way and am the happiest when I can plan what I am going to do in advance, including spending time with hobbies and fun activities. I don't treat it as set in stone, but I find it very motivating to have a structure and schedule that I create myself. It also appeal to my control freak parts. The latter is very important, as I have never been able to live well according to externally set schedules and structures, the deadlines and meetings I tend to have with work are perfectly enough for me. I rarely have two days or weeks that run the same way in sobriety, need a lot of variety and novelty to feel satisfied and balanced.

Of course if you make your own programming, it takes a lot of discipline to then execute. This had been very challenging to re-learn (and, in many ways, learn anew) after getting sober, as of course my alcoholic habits were nothing close to efficient and health-promoting. But even then, I personally never strictly followed the structure and principles set by any one recovery program, combining them and blending with what works for me was the best. For me, the highest level of repetition in my life was while I was drinking alcoholically, and it only caused frustration. So I would say that my sober life involves a lot of planning and scheduling but not necessarily routine.