Old 09-27-2020, 08:19 AM
  # 104 (permalink)  
dandylion
Community Greeter

Bidg-----I wrote you a post on 9/15----which I would ask you to read, again. Why? Because I think you are asking your wife to do an almost humanly impossible thing, at THIS point. I realize that it is in your own ignorance of the alcoholism---this is why I am stressing this point so much. I am speaking as a person who has supervised the detoxification of hundreds of alcoholics.
As much as your wife has been drinking for the last number of years---when you are asking her to "quit"---or, even, to "cut down"---you are asking her to take on an extreme amount of physical and emotional Suffering---within a few hours. At this point, the body, which is very physically dependent on the alcohol, at this point, goes into very dangerous alcohol withdrawl symptoms. When this happens, every cell in her body and brain are calling out for alcohol to stop the pain. At this point, she can think of nothing---not you, or the kids, or her job, or any promises that she may have made----nothing but getting a drink of alcohol to stop the pain.
If the alcohol withdrawl symptoms are left completely untreated---by not allowing some drink or the proper medically supervised Medications---the person's life is, literally, in danger. They can have withdrawl seizures or some vascular event (like stroke or heart malfunction). or slide into a psychotic state via delirium tremens (DT's).
She may well mean the "promises" when she makes them and wish that she could carry them out----but, when the withdrawl symptoms begin, almost every alcoholic will reach for the liquor to quell the pain.
If you do not believe me---go to a doctor and ask them if this is correct. Also. ask a doctor how to obtain medical supervision for your wife's humane detoxification. I would make suggestions, but, I am not famkiliar with the medical systems in your country.
Personally, I would never ask an alcoholic who is as far along in their alcoholism as your wife is, to quit "cold turkey". I consider that to be inhumane and generally futile, when there is the lifesaving comfort possible and available.
I believe that it is worth your time to see a doctor yourself to find out how to proceed with this, in your country. You might even print out my postings on this subject and show it to the doctor and ask if I am correct or not.