View Single Post
Old 09-22-2020, 07:29 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
ActionJ
THIS TOO SHALL PA$$

Originally Posted by bringmeback7693 View Post
For me, alcohol took away my sense of self. Before alcohol I had passions and interests that I could have explored more, but alcohol made me forget about all of them.

I loved writing and art and theatre, but was always too hungover in college to pursue any of these activities. I stopped caring about them. Pretty soon my only hobby was drinking.

Alcohol also made my anxiety, depression, and social anxiety infinitely worse. It destroyed my confidence and self-worth.

What did alcohol take from you? How can you get it back?
The number one thing booze took from me is time. For what should have been the best era of my life (teens to mid 20s) I was in a state of fog. Non-productive!! I caused lots of folks (mainly family) various levels of pain, worry, and concern and I didn't care. The years I wasted drinking were likely the most important ones for developing social skills; cognitive reasoning; and goal-setting.

Although I successfully overcame drinking I am basically a failure in every other way. Three failed marriages; I live in an apartment (at age 60); I manage a welding supply store at a nominal income level; I drive a 2003 truck because I can't afford anything else; and I'll never be able to truly "retire." So my life is a mixture of gratitude on the one hand and disappointment on the other.