View Single Post
Old 09-12-2020, 11:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Wastinglife

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
A very tough day to remember indeed. I remember that day well like everyone else. Each year I like to visit this webpage that Cantor Fitzgerald set up and pick random names to read about some of the people who lost their lives. The different facts or tidbits that the families chose to include are so sweet http://www.cantorfamilies.com

Yesterday while doing my lessons I was quite touched by the way this event is remembered around the world. I had students from all over asking about my experience and expressing condolences. My students in the middle east also spoke of how the world changed for them after 9/11 and the discrimination they faced due to sharing the same religion or ethnicity of the terrorists. Everyone was solemn, sorry and respectful during these sometimes difficult conversations, it was heartening.
Mera, my roommate when I was a university student is Ismali Muslim. Born in Canada. We took a flight right after 9/11. He wanted to go to visit his family afterwards.

His family were apparently put on a watch list. He couldn't fly until I 'vouched for him. I never got my bags searched. I was shocked a bit because they didn't even look at my luggage.

they picked out the foreign sounding names