Old 08-31-2020, 06:09 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
dandylion
Community Greeter

Bidg-----I recognize the pain that is in that letter, as well as the herculean effort to appeal to her logic and caring.

I am wondering if you might be moving a bit closer to taking overt action.
I would like to make a practical suggestion. I do recognize that the systems in your country are different than they are, here. (I am in the States). Different in both the kinds of support to the alcoholic and the loved one, as well.
I have worked at detoxing many, many alcoholics, in a job that I had in a medical facility. From what you have shared, I cannot see your wife putting down the bottle, at this point, without the onset of extremely uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms. Symptoms that are both uncomfortable and dangerous, if not treated. The object of supervised detoxification is safety and comfort. So many times, a person who has gotten to the point of the physical dependency that your wife has, may try to get sober---only to cave due to the extreme mental and physical discomfort of going "cold turkey".

Personally, after what I know after working with alcoholics, for several years-----I would never ask a person to quit drinking by going cold turkey. I, also, think that letting a person know that detoxification can be done comfortably, and, with compassion. This can, at least, remove the great dread and fear of the discomfort of withdrawl symptoms.

In addition, I think that it is imperative to have some supportive treatment available for the detoxified person----Immediately. At least giving them information that it is available to them.

I am pretty sure that you know this----that detox and rehab and ongoing programs of sobriety are different things. I am saying it for the benefit of many people who read these forums,