View Single Post
Old 08-05-2020, 12:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Philemon

Hi freedomfries. I used to get them in my 20s {I'm in my 50s now) I used this and never had much bother since.
1. Remember, this is a normal human response to danger "fight or flight" response. It is just being triggered to go off at the wrong times, when there is no immediate danger. I remember thinking, if there was a lion in the room with me, this feeling would be perfectly normal!

2. The false triggering makes the body pump out adrenaline, which gives the feeling you describe. But the adrenaline glands can only produce a limited amount of adrenaline at any one time. The panic you feel is because you are pumped with adrenaline, in "fight or flight" response and can do neither. The adrenaline gland will pump out the adrenalin you will feel it build, plateau as they can only produce so much and then fall. This will always happen.

3. I learnt to focus less on the panic feelings and more on what was happening with my body, while still going about my business, "floating" through the motions until it passed
eg. I would be in a shop, felt one coming on, stepped back from the panic feeling think, yes that perfectly natural response has been triggered at the wrong time again.
Pick up my shopping basket, heart pumping, everything on high alert, think "yes that would help if I needed to fight a lion or run out of a burning building, pick an item from the supermarket shelf, yes I feel like running from the shop screaming, that would be normal if there was danger in the shop, but theres not, so stay here, get on with it.
Then I would just focus on getting my shopping while being aware or the adrenaline peaking, plateauing, then falling.
The more you practice this, the shorter the attacks last because you are not adding panic upon panic.
In the end I would be waiting for mine so I could "master" them. They came less and less the more unafraid of them I became. Then they stopped, just when I was getting good