View Single Post
Old 07-31-2020, 07:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Aellyce

I've been struggling with motivation on/off since my teens. It got way way worse with drinking but, for me, sobriety (even just a week of it) had improved it very significantly. I think also just normal aging decreases motivational forces in most people (I am 46 and am definitely experiencing this). If you are struggling with basics, like personal hygiene/self-care, and if those antidepressants are not helping, I would go back to the doctor and try something different, or adjust the dosage. I really think that some of us just have biological issues with how our reward system works, which drives us to seeking stronger alternatives (drugs) in the first place and it naturally becomes more difficult when we suddenly give those up, very common. I've learned over the years to push myself and do things even if I don't feel motivated. What helps is knowing I will like the result, once I see the result, it'll be satisfying. Even little things like taking a shower. It's a bit like "playing the tape through" to imagine what will happen as a consequence of drinking, but a positive reinforcement version.

I think being unemployed (when we don't want to be) can have serious negative effects on anyone's mood, self-esteem and motivation. Do you have any other things in your life that excite and energize you somewhat (other than vaping)? If yes, I would spend more time engaging in those. If not, look for new activities you find interesting, however small. Engaging social connections also help. If you would like to find a job, maybe start working on that, even if you don't feel inspired in the moment. In my experience, a lot of the time it's starting that's the most difficult - once I am in the action, it becomes more rewarding and inspiring. The motivation arrives with some delay.