View Single Post
Old 07-30-2020, 08:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sleepyhollo

I also answered you in the FF of alcoholics but I think you can count on having some serious issues with immigration. You’ve been married for several years but he was in prison for a good part of that if I understand correctly. You haven’t actually lived together as husband and wife which does not look good in the eyes of immigration. You will first get a conditional green card. Then after 2 years to have the conditions removed you have to prove it is not a sham marriage. You have to have joint accounts, be living together, sharing a bed together and they might ask for pictures etc. And they want proof. Being married to a felon and active drug addict will not look good can tell you that. They will be very suspicious that you married him for the green card and in return he gets something for the trouble (not saying that is your case but that’s how it will look). You are not going to want a joint account with a drug user, especially if you make good money and he does not work at all. You will end up bankrupt and likely be deported. I’m sure your immigration attorney has told you all of this if they are worth what they charge. It isn’t as simple as getting your green card and then be done with it for a good reason. I have been through this process so I know what I am talking about. It was a long time ago but I can imagine it has only gotten more difficult. Plus he will need to be able to support you 100% until your conditional status will be removed. You will qualify for no government aid in case of loss of job or health insurance. You also have to undergo a physical and if you have a lot of medical problems, depending on what they are, that may complicate things as well. And without him having a job and shooting up drugs he will not be able to do that. I know a couple where I live where she is 67 and he is 27. He is from Israel. Hardworking engineering student and smart guy. They have been living together for 3 years and immigration will not grant him his permanent status because the landlord notified them that they did not share the marital bed. And they both work and are contributing people in society.

i understand your frustration but you are taking it out on the wrong people here. You are the one that got involved with this man despite all his shortcomings. And now it does sounds like you don’t care so much about him anymore and that you just want your greencard and be done with it. Is there anyway your job can help you with a work visa? Because I really think you are going to have a very difficult time convincing immigration that you are a legit couple. And all it takes for him is to say one wrong thing because he is high or vindictive and you will be on the next plane to the UK. And since you cannot trust an addict I would really worry about that. He may tell you one thing one day and change his mind or completely forget what he had said the next day. They also want attestations from close family and friends. I’m betting you will be hard pressed to get very positive ones and if you have people lie and they find out you can kiss this country goodbye for a good long time as well.
And I am sure the immigration lawyer will continue to work for you as long as you continue to pay. But that will still not guarantee that you will be successful in getting your green card.