View Single Post
Old 07-30-2020, 10:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
TilDeath

Originally Posted by Needabreak View Post
"I just need some answers regarding legal issues so I can make some smart choices for my own life."

First off, I'm not an attorney, and your best bet is to speak with an immigration lawyer.

But I do have friends who have married immigrants, so I have seen the Visa / Green Card process for Americans who marry immigrants close up.

If you file for a visa or a green card based on being married to an American citizen, the Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) will investigate thoroughly to make sure that you aren't in a sham marriage. One of my friends, who married a French woman, was taken into a separate room and asked details about the birth control that they used, and what color her toothbrush was, to make sure that his answers matched up with hers. He forgot the color of the toothbrush, and their application process was delayed by many months while that was cleared up.

If the INS uncovers that your husband is spending his days in a motel doing heroin with another woman (and most likely they will), this won't help your visa process at all. It may help that you have been married to him for a long time, but expect that a whole host of questions will come up in the process that you will have to deal with.

Again, probably best to speak frankly with an immigration lawyer so that you know what your options are here.

What concerns me more is that it doesn't seem that you are seeing the situation with your husband clearly. On the one hand, you state,

"At present he's currently holed up in a sleazy motel with this woman slamming as much heroin and meth as they can manage all day every day. (he left rehab about 2 weeks ago) Asking for money off of everyone in his family. It's so sad."

But then, you say:

"Any advice on how to talk to him to make him feel safe? I feel like he won't talk to me until she's not in the picture coz I think he's just stressed out to the max. All the emails I've sent him have been kind, understanding, non-beggy, and letting him know that I know he's going through it right about now."

He's holed up in a hotel shooting heroin all day and your priority is to be understanding and non-beggy? You want advice on how to make him feel safe?

What about you? Don't you have the right to feel safe? Don't you have the right to a husband who is there for you and who doesn't go off and spend his time shooting heroin with another woman in a cheap hotel room?

You have invested a lot of time in him. It's hard to walk away from the gambling table and accept a loss. But he's lost in active addiction. And he is taking you down with him. There is no telling if or when he may improve. For many, addiction leads to institutionalization and death.

How much more of your one precious life are you willing to invest in this man?
It's not a sham marriage. We've been married for years. He's relapsed and is doing what drug addicts do. I HAVE an immigration lawyer. That's what I'm trying to say, I have already spent a fortune on the lawyer, so it would be an extra kick in the teeth now for all that money go to waste. I wanted him to feel safe to talk to me because I want to get what I want. If I go barging in screaming and shouting, it's hardly gonna help. Cheating doesn't make a marriage a sham. Plenty of couples face the same situation. I'm not expecting some happy ever after, I just feel like I want the job I was going for and he has the key to it, and I obviously can't switch of love. This has all happened in like 2 weeks. And it's the first direct indiscretion he's ever done to me personally. I'm not ready to say I want to end my marriage. I'm also not ready to say I want it either. I want my visa that is already being dealt with by a very expensive lawyer who knows he's relapsed, and I want the job that pays me 3 times more, and anything with him will play out how it plays out. He'll either sober up, and maybe we can start back as friends, or he won't and then we can divorce. I don't think I'm explaining a hard concept here