View Single Post
Old 07-15-2020, 10:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Be123

20 weeks ago today

I woke up with a horrible hangover. I was really hot and sweaty, face burning, mouth tasting of stale alcohol and fuzzy feeling on my tongue. I could not get out of bed, I was too hungover and felt like I was dying.

I managed to get up at midday and went to the pub. Bought a pint, looked at it for ages, first sip I was sick. Carried on drinking til I went hone, buying cider on the way, drink at home with wife and children before passing out in bed at about 8pm.

Id practiced and rehearsed this over a long period, he getting worse and worse over 20 years. So many embarrassments, so many arguments, so much time wasted.

For anyone on day one, or thinking of giving up, or reading this having relapsed - I tried to give up 100's of times. I am only able to celebrate 20 weeks of sobriety due to keep coming back, keeping trying. THERE IS HOPE for a sober life, and if you don't believe me read or ask on here. You've got to keep going and keep faith in the human spirit and the human body's ability to repair itself.

My life is far from perfect and the last 20 weeks have been the most emotionally challenging of my life. I've still got a lot of consequences of my drinking I have to live with, they haven't gone away. But I wouldn't swap those 20 weeks for a winning lottery ticket (that's not an exaggeration - I honestly wouldn't!).

Dont give up, there IS hope, stay close to this forum, listen to what people say and act on it...

I accept I am in early recovery; I accept I am still addicted to alcohol and so today I will make sure I don't take the first drink.