Old 07-13-2020, 06:55 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
MLD51
Giving up is NOT an option.

Happy Monday!

Congratulations on a year, Hawkeye!! Fantastic!

I don't really feel happy that it's Monday, but I do feel good that I put another sober weekend on the books. I believe that was sober weekend #268 for me - or close to that. Never gets old.

Got a home project nearly completed over the weekend. I have two doors that go from my garage to the outside (not the main garage door) and they were in dire need of painting. The other two doors I have that go to the outside were completely replaced last year. I thought about replacing these two, also, but to save some money I tackled painting them myself. This involved stripping old flaking paint from the wood frames, and cleaning and sanding the metal doors in preparation for a coat of white paint. The house was a different color when it was built, I guess, because these doors were tan, and the rest of the house is now white. It turned out ok, not perfect, but overall I'm pleased. These are doors that are not used much but the difference in color and the peeling paint finally got to me. It took several days to complete, because it's been so hot here and it required lots of prep work and 3 coats of paint. I still have a bit of touching up to do, which I will do at some point today.

Took my daughter who is starting college in 6 weeks (YIKES) shopping for some new clothes yesterday. We still have a LOT of stuff to buy to get ready for the move to the dorm, but most of it can be done online. It's really starting to hit me that I'll be an empty nester soon. I try not to think about it too much because it makes me sad. I have had a kid in the house for 29 years (my other daughter just turned 29). It's going to be a major adjustment for me and I'm not looking forward to it. I will be extremely busy at work right when she leaves, since I also work at a university and with all the COVID stuff and returning to campus I will have my hands very full. I guess that's a good thing. Honestly, I have been fantasizing that I could just... retire. I COULD, if I really wanted to, but I am too young for that, really, and I would be much smarter to stick it out for another 7-8 years.