View Single Post
Old 07-05-2020, 10:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
biminiblue

Food addiction is really complicated.

I didn't like the OA model because it requires complete abstinence from certain foods. While I agree that some foods can trigger over-eating (like sugar, sugar/fat combinations, wheat products, nuts, dried fruit and various other things for other people) I don't see myself as abstaining from them forever or calling myself a failure at recovery/not recovered if I don't.

My approach is moderate daily consumption of sugar and wheat. Allowable treat days where I can over-eat. Limiting those treat days.

I don't see food addiction as nearly as dangerous as alcohol. However, some people will see it that way and I think if a person gets to 300 pounds or so then, yeah - some pretty drastic behavior modification is in order. For me, working on my personal issues was enough for me to be able to stay at a healthy weight and still enjoy treat foods now and then. I had to stop using food to quiet my emotions. I don't have big treats all day every day and definitely not without some limits, but not total abstinence either. I also wasn't trying to stick with a food program when I was getting sober from alcohol. I was already ten years into my food program.

As far as recovery goes, complete alcohol abstinence has to be the first priority. It's hard enough to tackle one of those issues and alcohol is the dangerous one since you're still at a reasonably manageable weight. I lost about the same amount as you need to lose, and it took me a little less than a year.