View Single Post
Old 07-04-2020, 10:13 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Fusion

Calico, I'm glad you sought advice. I suffered with frequent anxiety for many years, and the occasional panic attack. Been admitted to hospital and told it's 'only a panic attack' when I thought I was having a heart-attack; they'd obviously never suffered one. Sadly, I used alcohol to ameliorate the symptoms of anxiety, which was a complete failure, of course.

Now that I don't drink, I've found a dissociation technique for anxiety. helps When it appears, instead of resisting it, I visualise the anxiety as a visitor, I see it embodied in a small comical character with a squeaky voice, that I could pick up and place on my knee. I invite it towards me and talk to it, 'Hello anxiety, I allow and accept you, you can stay on the floor next to me as long as you want, but I'll go about my normal routines whilst you stand there watching". It's a mixture of various therapies, CBT, DBT etc., and it was difficult to visualise the anxious feelings and thoughts as an embodiment outside myself, initially. But with practice, it's really helped me.