View Single Post
Old 06-29-2020, 04:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Lautca
Sober since October 24, 1997

Originally Posted by silentrun View Post
Thank you for passing this along. Did it trigger you in any way?
Hi Silent Run, no it didn't trigger any desire to go get a drink, but I'll tell you, after 22 years I never thought I'd have alcohol on my breath again! What it did, though was make me angry because I'M THE ONE who is in control of any ethanol that goes into my body, not somebody else! I got the rug pulled out from under me!

As far as triggers go, I am fairly trigger-proof as far as physical substances go. I have used codeine for dental procedures and it hasn't caused any problems, the last time I used codeine was in January. To me, the way codeine feels is totally different from alcohol, so it doesn't act as a trigger. Same with propofol.

But what I can pass along to others is that despite my long sobriety, I know I can't slack off. Every once in awhile something crawls out of the woodwork and bites me in the behind that is a reminder from my past. This is why alcoholics MUST rebuild who they are while becoming sober. Becoming sober is just a small part of maintaining sobriety, and it is a lifetime job. However, it does become easier, you just have to keep an eye out for trouble. This one came out of left field, but did no harm.

As far as ethanol being in the lidocaine solution, the anesthesiologist verified it. A long time ago back in 1972, I had surgery done, and the anesthesiologist told me beforehand that the anesthetic he was going to use had a small amount of ethanol in it, and to be prepared for me to notice it on my breath. Now that was a totally different situation, but apparently it is used in some applications, and I intend to find out out more about it.