View Single Post
Old 06-29-2020, 12:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
CRRHCC

Originally Posted by Stable View Post
I have thrown about 10 cans of beer and 4 bottles of beer down the sink in the last week after consuming alcohol.

This cycle of giving in to cravings - drinking - throwing alcohol down the sink - swearing never to drink again only to be drinking 3 days later has been going on far too long.

A silver lining is I have not had any spirts for about 10 days after pouring half a bootle of Jameson’s Irish whiskey down the sink.

I had to work hard last week and felt I needed/ deserved a drink. Almost every emotion I have seems to automatically lead to a strong desire to drink, my brain seems hardwired to it.

I have work to do on this.
I've found that emotions are the primary drivers of human behavior. All addictions are caused by one underlying emotion: intolerable, overwhelming, helplessness (fear). All addictions serve an emotional purpose. That purpose is to reverse feelings of helplessness. Reasons for compulsive substance abuse or any hurt, hangup or habit, are driven by emotional factors, usually feelings of intolerable, overwhelming helplessness about whatever in life makes one feel overwhelmingly trapped, powerless and out of control. When we reverse engineer this basic psychology we can learn other behaviors that empower us and reverse feelings of helplessness. The trick is to find other high value behaviors that are important to you.