View Single Post
Old 06-28-2020, 02:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
carlingford

Antidepressants during detox

Hi Everyone, its been a while since my last post, now home from Saudi Arabia and 125 days alcohol-free. My problem now is anxiety and depression. I never had it before and think the alcohol was possibly masking it? My doctor initially gave me an SSRI (Sertraline) prescription which was terrible, I couldn't sleep and my head was all over the place. I stopped taking them after a month without a taper and thought I was going crazy. I eventually began another type of anti-depressant called mirtazapine 30mg and I am on it 6 days now, some days are good and others bad but I know it can take a few more weeks to adjust to my body. (it's working better with a clear head now 50% of the time and relaxed) I don't want to be on it long term but do not know if that is my choice and hoping that its PAWS still playing up and eventually will balance itself but I know I am altering my brain by taking an anti-depressant. What a conundrum to be in. I start a new job tomorrow and hope I can keep it all together in a quite senior management position. Hopefully, the new meds work and I can ween off them in time and reclaim my life. Regards the alcohol now, it doesn't bother me now at all not drinking and I look upon it as the poison that got me into this situation after 40 + years of putting my hard-earned money down the drain. Any thoughts or similar stories/situations greatly appreciated. God Bless and stay safe.