View Single Post
Old 06-15-2020, 05:15 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  
DriGuy

Originally Posted by didit4meXO View Post
It takes a lot to upset me now, which is a big change. I just disengage, or remove myself. I don’t feel the need or even want to “get bothered” it is a waste of my time, so I don’t do it. So I guess I am saying I am actually a lot calmer and level headed. Feels good. I am not letting thoughts take over my head either, it is partly that I am not giving it the space to happen, and partly my healing brain saying it doesn’t need it.

Some change requires forced change. Those changes took the longest for me. Resentment was the hardest for me. It's not because I didn't want to let go of resentments. I could see how destructive they were to me personally. I could wreck an entire hike into the mountains by myself, stewing about someone who had betrayed me or offended me in some way, and missing half the good things that were happening around me. It took a lot of force and practice to shove those out of the way.
For other people it may be easier or harder. But some changes happen without giving them a thought, and those were happy surprises, and they were especially delightful because as far as I could tell, they were simply the result of not drinking anymore.

Originally Posted by didit4meXO View Post
On to week four, starting tomorrow which will bring a month.
I've always believed that if you can make it a month, you can keep it up for the rest of your life. You've got the hard part out of the way and are free to personally grow with a clear head. This may not be the same for binge drinkers that go for months without a drink and then lapse. I had a friend who was like that. I never understood the mechanism that causes binge drinking. I just know that I was so happy to be sober that I was going to hang onto it and never let it go, even when my AV would send me a message telling me I was strong enough that I could drink and stop anytime I wanted. Incidentally, I believe my friend got over binge drinking. I don't know how, because he unusually private about these things.

Not only does it get easier, which has been said over and over in this forum to every newcomer. It also gets BETTER, maybe not suddenly, but over the years, you will realize your life has improved, sometimes even though you weren't even watching. Keep your eye on sobriety, and a lot of good things follow from that. I've often said after I had been in AA for a few months and experienced some changes that if all I got out of the program was to never drink another drop, I would have been 100% satisfied. The personal growth was frosting for sure, and I'll take that too (now that you are sober, you might as well put it to good use), but if all that came out of it for me was sobriety, I would have considered it worth it. But most people agree you need to do more with sobriety to stay sober. They are probably right.