View Single Post
Old 06-01-2020, 09:24 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
DriGuy

Originally Posted by didit4meXO View Post
Seven days tonight, that is one week. It went fast in a way, at least to say one week, but in a way it has been one heck of a long day 1, that just kept going and going. To say one week accomplished is very motivating. It makes me feel like getting to two weeks won’t be quite as long. Not trying to fool myself, but it feels kind of nice to kick the mud off my shoes that has weighed me down this week, I might just feel a little lighter this coming week.
You describe that the way I remember one week. I would describe it as stunning, because it had always felt so unobtainable before, and week two came quite easily for me after that. It was at that time that I knew I would make it. It wasn't just saying I would make either. It was different. I actually knew it. So what was different? First, I had never actually committed to abstinence for the rest of my life before, not because I thought it would be too hard, but because I didn't think it was possible. I would always be in some situation, say like a wedding, where drinking would be required, so I pictured sobriety as a state of not drinking everyday, but controlling and limiting on special occasions, not realizing that I could attend a special occasion and not drink at all (lots of normal people don't drink on special occasions).

Second, I never before found a group of people that truly understood. Way back when I quit, that was AA because nothing else in my small town was available. Some in AA struggle for years, but keep trying. Other's had achieved long term sobriety and are remarkably happy about the fact that they hadn't had a drink in years. They were free to enjoy the other things in life without having to drink instead. That was the set I wanted to be a part of, and that's where I found my mentors.

Commitment and a group where I could celebrate sobriety, rather than fear it or regret it. Those two things were my biggest help. And there's nothing better than going to a group on a Friday night or New Years Eve and celebrating sobriety when everyone else is out there getting plastered. It was a rush for me, especially New Years Eve, where we played games, shot fireworks at midnight, ate ham, turkey, and all kinds of good things people brought for the table, and somewhere in the middle of the party, we sat on the floor and took time out for a regular meeting. Talk about gratitude! There was more thanksgiving on New Years Eve than I ever had on Thanksgiving Day. And that's the way my life has been ever since, although I don't go to meetings anymore.